Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nov updates

One of the good things about my current job is that I get to read novels..a lot of novels. But the sad thing is that most of the books are superficial, unrealistic kinda fairy-airy tales and worse still, with grammatical errors (I know im stereotyping but I wouldn't have expected more from most American writers). Well...it's expected given that the large majority of the books are for lil' kids but i was expecting more decent novels for the higher level students which isn't really the case, though there are exceptions like "The Giver" (by Lois Lowry) which I've just finished reading. It's been ages since I've read a u/dys-topian novel and I remember being irritated with this genre after studying too many of such texts for Lit during A'levels.

Anyways, I really enjoyed "The Giver" and I don't know why critics say that it's too blatant a novel when I find the themes & events more subtly portrayed as compared to similar books like "1984". Sure, it's not as "deep" and layered as say "Brave New World", which I think was where Lowry got the idea/basis for her book but still, it's a good book for older kids (& even adults) provided they are able to comprehend & analyse the themes and events, which i seriously doubt my students currently in this level are able to. Can't really blame them though since they're mostly 11-13 yr olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment